Personal Money Management
Canadian youth are growing up in a time in which spending is easier than ever and debt is a way of life.
This problem is exacerbated by hectic family schedules, which leave parents with little time to teach their children about money management. Limited resources in schools mean that they are also not able to teach students critical financial skills that will keep them out of debt and help them succeed in life.
Personal Finance is JA's new financial literacy program for Grade 9-12 students. The program teaches students personal money management skills including the key elements of personal finance such as spending wisely, budgeting, saving, investing and using credit.
Calgary & Area
(1 class period)
(1 class period)
Personal Financial Security
In this interactive program students will:
- Recognize the role income plays in personal finances
- Discover the importance of planning their financial decisions
- Identify high-dollar items and unexpected costs that require savings
- Learn the importance of making and keeping a spending plan
- Consider the types of expenditures that might go into a monthly budget
- Express the need to make good credit decisions to avoid costly consequences
- Assess potential risks to their personal finances
- Learn preventative methods to limit potential losses
By the end of the program, students will have a personal finance plan and clear goals for their financial security.
- We request at least 1 hour or 1 class period of time in class
- Registration is required at least 6 weeks before your preferred date (some exceptions may apply)
- JA volunteers are guest speakers, classroom supervision is required
- Students learn from business leaders in the community
- Volunteers share real-life stories and experiences, making learning engaging and memorable
- Students develop confidence, leadership and critical thinking skills
- One-time volunteer commitment, or volunteer on as many occasions as you like
- Program training
- A teacher will be present to help with classroom management
- Volunteer solo, with a friend or with another JA volunteer
- New volunteers participate in a training session
- For corporate volunteer days, we’ll bring program training to you
- Volunteer hours can often be applied toward designations and professional development
- Work on your leadership, instructional and public speaking skills